Individualized Counsel And Personal Attention

When A Child Needs More Than Just A Grandparent’s Love

When you have a grandchild or a beloved niece or nephew, you just want the best for them. If something happens to the child’s parent or you see that the child is not adequately cared for, then you may have options to step in and help. The attorneys of Barber Tubis Law, P.C. have experience in evaluating, negotiating, and litigating the when, why, and how of grandparent or stepparent visitation with a minor child after the separation or death of a parent.

Ensuring That You Will Be Able To See Your Grandchildren

Although many grandparents are very involved in the lives of their grandchildren, in the eyes of the law, they do not have the authority to make any decisions for the children or even visit with them unless they have the parents’ consent or the consent of the court.

When something happens to a child’s parents or you are unable to see them, there are steps you can take to ensure that you will be able to see your grandchild and remain involved in their life. Our experienced family law attorneys at Barber Tubis Law, P.C. help grandparents and other relatives stay connected and take care of the children they care about.

Spending More Time With The Child: Visitation Rights

Sometimes, changing familial relationships or circumstances can present an obstacle to spending time with your grandchildren. When this happens, you may be able to petition the court for visitation rights.

In order for grandparents or a third party to get visitation rights, a few conditions must be met:

  • The parent is either unwilling or unable to care for the child.
  • There is a pre-existing and ongoing relationship between the child and the grandparent or third party.
  • It must be in the best interests of the child to continue having an ongoing relationship.

Our experienced lawyers can help you determine if visitation would be the best option for you. With years of experience helping grandparents and other relatives, they know how to approach the situation with the child’s best interests at heart.

Taking Full Responsibility For The Child: Guardianships

In California, certain circumstances can push the court to place a child with their grandparent or other relatives when it would be in the child’s best interests. Whether the parent is deceased, in rehab, in jail or unfit to care for the child, a grandparent may be granted guardianship over them.

With Miranda handling guardianships of the person and Brian handling guardianships of the estate, Barber Tubis Law, P.C. is equipped to address any issues that need to be addressed when a child’s parents are unable to provide the care and financial management needed due to illness, addiction, incarceration, or death.

In these situations, a grandparent can petition the court to name them as the child’s guardian. The court will always pursue the best interests of the child and will choose the option that will provide the most stable home for them. As a guardian, you would have the same responsibilities as the child’s parents to care for them. This would include food, clothing, shelter, medical care, education and anything else that is required for a child’s health and safety.

Helping You Protect The Ones You Love

If you want to step in and fight for visitation rights or guardianship of your grandchild, then you need an experienced attorney by your side. Our lawyers at Barber Tubis Law, P.C. understand the importance of a grandparent in a child’s life and will pursue the best path forward for you and the child. Contact us online or by calling 707-429-2222 to schedule a consultation.